11 easy balance exercises to improve stability in 2021!
Falls are the leading cause of injury in Silver Americans, but you can get around with confidence with the right balance exercises at any age. Looking to improve your balance is a fantastic opportunity to try a new online exercise class or invest in a new tool for your home, but it is easy to build your abilities right in your living room too! Here, we’ve gathered together the best balance exercises for elderly adults. They range from beginner’s activities to advanced techniques, so there’s bound to be something for you.
See the exercise positions here or see our video for chair yoga and balance video here
Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Determine which leg is your dominant leg. Start each exercise with your nondominant side so that the other side will be easier.
- Maintain good posture and form while you’re holding the position.
- Focus your gaze on a fixed point straight ahead to maintain your balance.
- If you have concerns with your balance in standing positions, try placing your feet a little bit farther apart.
- Bend your knees slightly. This prevents your knees from hyperextending, and it makes you more stable.
- Distribute your weight evenly between both feet. Notice if you tend to put more weight on one foot or if your weight shifts forward or backward.
- As your balance improves, you can experiment by closing one eye at a time, gazing up at the ceiling, or trying different arm positions.